February 17, 2009

Gnocchi!

In our transition from living in Virginia to living in Texas again, we elected to stay with my parents for a time. It turned out to be a short time, only about 5 weeks, and now we are on our own again, in The Village apartments in Dallas.

When we left my parents house about 2 weeks ago, my mother showered us with all sorts of food—mostly of the food-storage variety--and this bounty included about 5 bags of potato pearls. I’m not the biggest fan of potato pearls, and although they store forever (or so I’m told), I actually wanted to eat them—but not in the usual eat-potatoes-with-roast or whatever you eat mashed potatoes with way.

So I’ve been researching recipes of all kinds that used mashed potatoes in them: pierogis, potato dumplings, samosas, potato croquettes, and, of course, gnocchi. If you haven’t heard of gnocchi before, you’re in for a treat. It’s a simple potato-based pasta, and the little doughy tidbits look like cute little pillows of yum.

Gnocchi (adapted from Joy of Cooking)

2 2/3 cups cooked potato pearls
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour*
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons butter, melted, or olive oil

Combine the potatoes in a bowl with the flour, salt and nutmeg. Stir vigorously, then turn onto a well-floured work surface and knead until smooth and combined. (Note: although the recipe only calls for 1 1/3 cups flour, I had to use quite a bit more, so don't be shy about sprinkling more flour onto your dough and kneading it in if it feels quite sticky). Bring 3-4 inches of salted water to a simmer in a large pot.

Roll about 2 tablespoons of the dough into a cylinder 3/4 inch wide. Cut it into pieces 3/4 inch long. Drop gnocchi pillows into simmering water and cook until they float, about 2 minutes. They should hold a firm shape and be chewy to the bite. If they turn out slimy and soft, knead in a few more tablespoons of flour and test the dough again.

When the dough is right, separate the dough into ropes, and cut as directed above, and then cook the rest of the gnocchi in 2-3 batches. Once cooked, remove to a wide bowl and drizzle some of the melted butter over the gnocchi. Toss to coat.

Serve at once with:
-additional melted butter and grated parmesan (the real stuff!)
-a tomato sauce
-pesto sauce

6 comments:

Kari said...

You're back in Texas? Lucky! When did you turn into a food guru?

JB and MA said...

Yeah, you're on your own!!!! Hallelujah! I know that free feeling well. Not right now of course, but someday I plan on having my own place again (fingers crossed!) ;)

phil said...

i love gnocchi

Shannon said...

Phil-is gnocchi a southern Italian thing, or a northern one? OR both?

Olivia said...

I bet if gnocchi is good with potato pearls, it is fabulous with real potatos. I have to admit, I think potato pearls are yucky....but I'm sure I'd be happy to have them if I was living off of my food storage!

Jen said...

Shannon, we made this last night for dinner and Phil loved it, but I guess that's not much of a surprise. Thanks for the recipe.