June 16, 2008

Martha in ****

At our local library's book sale recently I found an old book of Martha Stewart recipes for only $4! What a treasure, I thought. The photo of Martha on the front was pretty funny as well, so I bought it. This easy chocolate sauce is the first recipe I've tried from it, but I also learned (from the introduction) that Martha used to be a stock-broker--on Wall Street! I had no idea...

A few tips when trying this recipe: You may have to pop your sauce in the microwave on very low heat for short bursts of time in order to get a smooth and evenly melted consistency; I found that merely adding the boiling cream to the chocolate just wasn't enough to do the trick. My sauce kept for weeks in the fridge; you can either microwave on low for a minute or two to soften, or put in a bowl over simmering water. Just don't overheat it!


Vanilla Ice Cream with Hot Chocolate Ganache

3/4 pound semisweet chocolate
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 pint vanilla ice cream

Chop the chocolate into chip-sized pieces and put in a medium-size heatproof bowl

Bring the cream to a full boil in a small saucepan. Pour immediately over the chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth

Spoon warm mixture over ice cream & serve

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I made the mistake of telling my computer not to allow my personal details to be sent to blogger.com (in this case, my birthyear) so that's why "1984" is showing up as ****. It looks like I'm cussing or somthing!

Thwarthwimple said...

I bet Martha can cuss like a sailor... especially after her famed stint in jail!

So maybe the title ain't so far off base!