April 12, 2011

Phyllo Cups with Cream & Berries



I recently hosted a baby shower for a close friend, and it was very rewarding. Thankfully I had a lot of friends willing to help out with the food, but I still made quite a bit of it: mini chocolate cupcakes with ganache, rosemary skewers, and phyllo cups filled with delicious tangy cream and topped with a variety of fresh berries. I was so busy the morning of the shower, that I completely forgot to take photos of all the tasty edibles, so this is the best I could find. The phyllo cups are on the left, and I've been making them for baby showers since 2007. (Ok, so this is only the second shower I've made them for, but "since 2007" just sounds so cool, doesn't it?) Also, I multiplied the recipe by 4 so it made about 48 cups.

Phyllo Cups with Cream Filling

makes 12

4 TB butter, melted
4 sheets phyllo dough
1/4 cup sugar

filling*:
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup sour cream
2 T sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Place oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 350. Butter insides and rims of muffin tin. Place 1 sheet of phyllo on a clean surface. Brush with butter. Sprinkle with 1 Tb of sugar. Cover with a second sheet of phyllo. Brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Repeat with 2 more sheets of phyllo, ending the layer with butter and sugar.

Cut the stack of phyllo sheets into twelve squares. Place one square stack into each muffin cup. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and gently loosen. Cool completely. (Cups may be stored airtight at room temperature up to 2 days.)

Beat filling ingredients until almost stiff. Spoon into cooled phyllo cups, and top with anything you want! I used a mixture of sliced strawberries, blueberries & raspberries.

*I'm sure you could also fill these cups with ice cream, sorbet, mousse, custard, or just fruit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They were delicious! Thanks, Shannon!